Friday, November 5, 2010

JYERMING EATHEN RONG-I


I know your roving eyes did not catch a glimpse of that glistening drop of tear in my joyful eyes as you lay gargling in my arms.
            Let me be honest with you- I never expected myself to harbor such sentiments but when I first heard your wail in the operating room my eyes just swelled with some unknown emotions. I just did not know from where the overwhelming sensation creeped into me. I was supposed to be the “black leather-power metal-overdriven guitar-growling macho-heavy metal listening male. Even after you moved into my wife’s womb, I had my reservations. My primary concern then was the hope my wife will be safe till the end. Yes I did get those thrills when we felt your kicks but yet I wondered whether it hurt my wife or not. My first connection with you came around the time you cried your way out of your mother’s womb. You were placed in my arms at about 10:00 am on the 16th of July 2010, all wrapped up and a bundle of world that was beyond my comprehension. I had become a father- a death metal listening father who always thought tears were meant to be private. 
            I still remember Aneu (Dr. Gyalmith), telling me that since there was no sunlight that week you had to be given photo therapy (a fancy name for keeping you under 4 tubelights with your tender eyes covered) for many days as there was a likely chance of you getting jaundice (somehow it was quite normal to have every newborn to catch the disease). Your mother (mind you she is tougher than me) took a bath just the next day you were born much to the scoldings of her mother, my mother (both your nyukungs)and  the doctor gasped in utter disbelief when she heard that your mom had taken a shower the very next day after she had a caesarean operation. Where was I –oh yes I was there trying to make you sleep in the “photo therapy” cradle and I was running out of “warm soothing” lullabies. In fact your aunty Pema and Aie Tenzin both had suggested me just to hum in low voice keeping you near my heart so you could feel my beat. And for all the years of heavy metal I did not have one song in my mental jukebox that could make you comfortable. Believe it or not your father’s first lullaby was Creed’s “One last Breath”, followed by “Chopsuey” of System of a down. I even tried to mellow down “Master of puppets” and “Enter Sandman” (both Metallica hits-your father is one crazy Metallica fan) for you. But yet there I was-so oblivious to everything and connected only to you. In fact Aneu Gyalmith came down and told me to take a long walk (that day you were just 3 days old) alone. And I went straight from Adarsh Nursing Home (where you were born) to 10th mile and was reflecting on those 3 days that brought on a new dimension in my life. I am not trying to be the melodramatic father running out of steam but yes you were welcomed into my life with much joy and exhilaration.
            This is just to remind you how special you were when you came into our life.
            ……ooops ! We will talk about your mother next time      

3 comments:

  1. wow... the phases of life! enjoyed the transition -metal rocker goes soft lullabys:) brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. anum... just luvd ur post! congratulations to u for the new addition to the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although its been eight years now but i still want to congratulate you for being a father And ofcourse for keeping the memories as fresh as it was just yesterday...Happy Parenting

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog